Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Why we need to reform the government.

So today I worked for 11 hours. I was all happy because thats a fair bit of mola, and then I realized something. 45% of the money I earn automatically gets taken by the government. Thats before I even get my paycheck, and after that I have to pay 7.4% sales tax on stuff I buy. All in all that's nearly 50% of my paycheck. Ok, now of the money that comes out of my paycheck, 4.3% goes to the state and the rest pays for social security, medicare, and federal income tax.

Now lets look at how much the government spends a year...
In 2004 the government spent 1.4 trillion dollars on social benefits, this is things like social security, medicare, food stamp programs, unemployment stuff, welfare....
They spent 484.2 billion on national security, the armed forces and such
They spent 238.5 billion on public safety, this is the police, firefighters, courts, and prisons
They spent 231.9 billion on transportation, space, agriculture, energy ect...
All in all the spend over 3.5 trillion dollars a year.

I have a problem with this. Mainly, its the fact that I worked for my money, and I would like to spend it how I see fit. So, my idea is to reform the government into only the areas nessacary for a capitalistic society. Basically, I think that we should eliminate a bunch of government payed for areas. Such as: All transportation stuff(roads, planes, boats, space, so on..), post office, education, and all social benefits. This would eliminate the following from the cabinet: department of agriculture, department of commerce, department of labor, department of education, department of energy, department of transportation, department of health and human services, department of housing and urban development.
That, in theory, would save 2 trillion dollars.

Now, you may be wondering, how will the roads get built, and letters get sent, and people get educated, and people retire, and people get medical insurance....

No comments: